The Cappella della Madonna di Vitaleta on the road from Pienza to San Quirico d'Orcia

In 2001 I came to live in Italy. I had some fun, wrote a journal and this is the blog of my story...

"Tuscany is a state of grace. The countryside is so lovingly designed that the eye sweeps the mountains and valleys without stumbling over a single stone. The lilt of the rolling green hills, the upsurging cypresses, the terraces sculptured by generations that have handled the rocks with skillful tenderness, the fields geometrically juxtaposed as though drawn by a draughtsman for beauty as well as productivity; the battlements of castles on the hills, their tall towers standing grey-blue and golden tan among the forest of trees, the air of such clarity that every sod of earth stands out in such dazzling detail. The fields ripening with barley and oats, beans and beets. The grape-heavy vines espaliered between the horizontal branches of silver-green olive trees, composing orchards of webbed design, rich in intimation of wine, olive oil and lacy-leaf poetry. Tuscany untied the knots in a man's intestines, wiped out the ills of the world. Italy is the garden of Europe, Tuscany is the garden of Italy, Florence is the flower of Tuscany." Irving Stone from my favourite book " The Agony and the Ecstacy" A fictional biography of Michelangelo



255. Villa Le Corti (special edition)

The long awaited return of our favourite wine festival in San Casciano.


This year is a bit special... We arrive in time for me to try a few white wines, before my mammoth vertical tasting of Castello di Fonterutoli's Supertuscan, 50%Sangiovese 50% merlot , called Siepi.



It's an incredible experience,especially coming after my first experience last year, when I attended a vertical tasting of Tenuta di Ornellaia's 100%Merlot, Masseto. This year oenologist, Carlo Ferrini is on hand to help owner Filippo Mazzei in the presentation and the wines, which sell for about 70 euro a bottle are fabulous! Afterwards I join Annette on the rug and we indulge in a wicked cheese board courtesy of Corzano and Paterno and who should we bump into, but our landlord, Silverio and his ex partner, Jane! I finish up with some more red wines before we head back home.







Sunday and I had invited my good friends, Davide and Rossana, nut they can't make it, so I drive up by myself at midday and clear up some of the red wines that I missed yesterday!


I also have another date with one of Tuscany's mythical wines, Tenuta di Trinoro. I get to attend my second vertical tasting of the weekend with their 250 euro a bottle Supertuscan. Owner Andrea Franchetti is present to talk us through 7 vintages from 1997- 2004



No comments: